No error data when debugging our app locally

Simon

Posted on
May 08 2023

Hi, we've been using the crash/error reporting feature for a while now, and it's been diligently logging errors experienced by our app users. However I've made a few changes to our app and I wanted to test the logging, and I'm unable to see any data coming through that I've sent.

I'm throwing an exception, which is then caught by our error handlers, and the details are sent on to Raygun via the .Net library. I've stepped through the code while debugging and it all appears to work as expected. I'm then looking in the Raygun app, under Crash Detection, for today, and I see nothing (even after waiting an hour or so in case of any delays).

I've checked that my API key is valid. I've also checked that we don't have any inbound filters active that might exclude my traffic. I'm not sure what else to check - I'm unsure of how to diagnose the problem.

Can someone please assist?

For reference:

• .Net Framework 4.5.2 application (windows forms - it's a MS Office plugin)
  • Using NuGet package "Mindscape.Raygun4Net.Signed" version 5.5.2
  • I've tried both Client.Send(exception, tags, customData) and Client.SendInBackground(exception, tags, customData)

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
May 09 2023

Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have a hunch. I suspect you need to elevate the TLS version in your code.

In C# you can set the TLS version to 1.2 this way:

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12;

We're working on improving our documentation and guidance here. We upgraded our minimum TLS level we accept from our API last year, in general good security practice accordance. However older versions of .NET will default to a low security protocol level, even when higher versions are available on the system.

This will elevate it.

Let me know if that resolves the issue Simon.

Simon

Posted on
May 23 2023

Apologies for the delay in responding. Forcibly setting the TLS version seems to do the trick. The test exception I'm throwing & logging is now showing up on my dashboards.

Thanks!

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
May 23 2023

Awesome, thank you Simon!

We've made the decision to update our Raygun4Net provider to lift the TLS version if it's set to 1.0 to avoid this. We had a lot of debate about this because it will affect the process it's in. Hence, only change if lifting to that level (and not be 'broken by default').

I really appreciate you flagging this with us though Simon.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

John-Daniel Trask